Boards to discuss Hârn, HârnWorld, HârnMaster, and RPGs in general.
Links - Home - Kelestia Productions - Columbia Games Inc
It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:00 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 1:06 pm 
Offline
Beadle
Beadle
User avatar

Joined: Fri May 09, 2003 3:14 am
Posts: 300
Location: The Land of the South Wind
Greetings All,
I recently purchased Legends of Sorcery from RPGObjects http://www.rpgobjects.com
This is a d20 skill based magic system for both arcane and divine magic. There are mechanics for setting the magic level at Low, Medium, or High. Low magic has a maximum of 3rd level spells, medium maxes at 9th level, but only the most skilled etc could even hope to cast them. High magic is the standard D&D magic level. There are a bunch of spellcasting character classes meant to be used with the different magic levels. All in all it looks like a well designed system well suited for Harn with little to no modification. I am quite pleased and thought I would share with you all.

_________________
------
John S. Daniel II
------
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - B. Franklin
------


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 5:20 am 
Offline
Baron
Baron
User avatar

Joined: Sat May 24, 2003 7:41 pm
Posts: 3301
Location: Creeping up on retirement
That looks interesting, and certainlyin an improvement upon the core D20 system of spell-casting.

You need to let us know how it plays.

_________________
43 sessions, 183 hours 'at the table' in a Harn containing the much-feared potâtoe!

12th Knight, 8th Constable, 2nd Baron of Harn(Forum)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 5:42 am 
Offline
Knight
Knight
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 13, 2002 7:28 am
Posts: 1178
Location: Chicago, IL
Care to explain so features of the rules? RGPObjects usually makes well received products, but in general leave me non-plused (much like Monte Cook).


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 7:57 am 
Offline
Baron
Baron
User avatar

Joined: Sat May 24, 2003 7:41 pm
Posts: 3301
Location: Creeping up on retirement
Harshax wrote:
Care to explain so features of the rules? RGPObjects usually makes well received products, but in general leave me non-plused (much like Monte Cook).


What does leave you plused?

_________________
43 sessions, 183 hours 'at the table' in a Harn containing the much-feared potâtoe!

12th Knight, 8th Constable, 2nd Baron of Harn(Forum)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 9:29 am 
Offline
Knight
Knight
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 13, 2002 7:28 am
Posts: 1178
Location: Chicago, IL
weiss beer and a good tattoo.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 10:46 am 
Offline
Baron
Baron
User avatar

Joined: Sat May 24, 2003 7:41 pm
Posts: 3301
Location: Creeping up on retirement
Harshax wrote:
weiss beer and a good tattoo.


Ah. Well, the search for plusing is an individual journey with infinte possibilites.

_________________
43 sessions, 183 hours 'at the table' in a Harn containing the much-feared potâtoe!

12th Knight, 8th Constable, 2nd Baron of Harn(Forum)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 11:32 am 
Offline
Beadle
Beadle
User avatar

Joined: Fri May 09, 2003 3:14 am
Posts: 300
Location: The Land of the South Wind
Regardless of the state of one's plussing... here is a more detailed synopsis of the Legends of Sorcery. Sorry it took me so long to get back to you...

Basis of the system:
Spells are cast with a skill check, failing the skill check can result in various consequences ranging from fatigue to physical/mental damage.
Difficulty of the check is equal to 15 + 5X spell level
The skill in question is Knowledge (Arcana) for arcane spells or Knowledge (religion) for divine spells - modified by the caster's Base Magic Bonus + Ability modifier.
The Base Magic Bonus is a new element to d20 specifically for this system, and is similar to a Base Attack Bonus. Also, the Base Magic Bonus is used to determine caster level rather than character level or class level. There are three Base Magic Bonus progressions, High, Medium, and Low. Low ranges from +0 at 1st level, to +10 at 20th, Medium ranges from +0 at 1st level to +15 at 20th level. High ranges from +1 to +20.
Now comes the most interesting part - the book offers a group of spellcasting character classes organized into Low and Medium - the standard D&D classes represent High. So if you want a low magic campaign, you select from the Low Magic classes and go from there - low magic also does not allow spell higher than 3rd level. If you want a Medium campaign, you select from those classes and go to town. Medium allows spells up to 9th level, but spells over 5th level would be very rare, and extremely difficult to cast. High magic puts you back on par with typical d20 fantasy. I can see making a case for running a Harn campaiign at either the low or medium magic settings. The classes for both low and medium magic would take little modification to bring them into the shek pvar convocational scheme, but nothing too radical - could even re-define the convocations pretty easily to match the classes. Of course, no d20 book would be complete without some feats, there are some new feats designed for the classes, as well as modified versions of the standard metamagic feats..
Hopefully that will answer your questions. Like I said, if you are running d20 rules in Harn, there is a lot of goodness that can be pulled from here. As I am winding down my current campaign, I will include these rules in the basis for the next campaign.

_________________
------
John S. Daniel II
------
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - B. Franklin
------


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 4:50 pm 
Offline
Cottar
Cottar

Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2003 10:23 am
Posts: 7
I recently downloaded Legends of Sorcery and I am adapting the magic system for use in a Harn D20 campaign that I am starting in a couple of weeks. I am going to use Medium Level magic for the Shek P'var and Priest Classes. I am borrowing heavily from the two D20 Harn documents created by Shane Morales. I have created a Shek P'var Class instead of using the Wizard Class. A Shek P'var gains access to new convocations by way of feats. The spells have been divided up into best convocational match. The feel of LoS magic is a much closer match to Harn Magic than the Vancian magic system (fire & forget) used in standard 3.5. I'll let you know how it goes once the campaign starts.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 1:04 pm 
Offline
Half Villein
Half Villein
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 22, 2007 2:28 pm
Posts: 44
Very interesting. I'm thinking about picking this up for my Castles & Crusades games.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 4:12 am 
Offline
Knight
Knight
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 13, 2002 7:28 am
Posts: 1178
Location: Chicago, IL
Eisenmann wrote:
Very interesting. I'm thinking about picking this up for my Castles & Crusades games.


Why? C&C has an implied character level cap of around 12th level (6th level magic). Why complicate it?

If you want to add a spellcasting check system make the CL = to (Spell Level x 2) - 1. This results in a game where a spellcaster will succeed 40% of the time in casting spells appropriate for their level.

As compensation for spell failure, treat spell slots as the number of spells that can be safely memorized for each level and the number of castings per day, remove "fire and forget".

Add a spell weave/unweave feature. Weave/unweave states that two spells of one level can be weaved together to make one spell of the next level, with the inverse being true.

Allow over taxing (temporary CON damage) to continue casting spells beyond his daily limit, with CON damage equal to Spell Level.

Allow characters to memorize spells of a level higher than appropriate for their level, with an Int roll, and CL = to (Spell Level x 2) - 1. The result being that a low level mage may very well have a Fireball up his sleeve. He might not be able to cast it (most of the time), and it might kill him to do so. . . .

I think this is the least you could do to balance Magic with Chance of Failure against the default 100% Success, Fire & Forget System of C&C.

Just my 2d.

_________________
A moment is the most you can ever expect from perfection.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 1:14 pm 
Offline
Half Villein
Half Villein
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 22, 2007 2:28 pm
Posts: 44
Because. 8O

But you've got good ideas on the subject too.

Though the "implied" level cap really isn't there.


Harshax wrote:
Eisenmann wrote:
Very interesting. I'm thinking about picking this up for my Castles & Crusades games.


Why? C&C has an implied character level cap of around 12th level (6th level magic). Why complicate it?

If you want to add a spellcasting check system make the CL = to (Spell Level x 2) - 1. This results in a game where a spellcaster will succeed 40% of the time in casting spells appropriate for their level.

As compensation for spell failure, treat spell slots as the number of spells that can be safely memorized for each level and the number of castings per day, remove "fire and forget".

Add a spell weave/unweave feature. Weave/unweave states that two spells of one level can be weaved together to make one spell of the next level, with the inverse being true.

Allow over taxing (temporary CON damage) to continue casting spells beyond his daily limit, with CON damage equal to Spell Level.

Allow characters to memorize spells of a level higher than appropriate for their level, with an Int roll, and CL = to (Spell Level x 2) - 1. The result being that a low level mage may very well have a Fireball up his sleeve. He might not be able to cast it (most of the time), and it might kill him to do so. . . .

I think this is the least you could do to balance Magic with Chance of Failure against the default 100% Success, Fire & Forget System of C&C.

Just my 2d.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 

All times are UTC + 10 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group