Boards to discuss Hârn, HârnWorld, HârnMaster, and RPGs in general.
Links - Home - Kelestia Productions - Columbia Games Inc
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:24 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 260 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 11  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 12:30 am 
Knight
Knight

Quote:
I too love minis... :)

We really don't want to hear the details of your lovelife DM. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 1:29 am 
Woodward
Woodward

DongMaster: thanks for the links. I had been reading one of the threads previously, but somehow completely missed the other one.

So it seems we have a similar preference for an Early Medieval feel for Harn, as far as miniatures are concerned? I've got a few of Gripping Beast's Normans, and I'm itching to get more. Many more.

I'm looking forward to you putting up a minis gallery on your website. Hurry up! :wink: AFAIK there isn't a dedicated Harn miniatures page on the web yet, or is there?

DevilOnTheWall: Yes, collecting miniatures can be a guilty pleasure. But I guess that's not you meant. :)

- Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 6:46 am 
Solithar

Argent wrote:
He had made some pretty substantial changes to the world (much more high fantasy, his own religions, etc.), much to the annoyance of another member of the group who also collected all the material.

:lol: That's pretty funny.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 7:18 pm 
Half Villein
Half Villein

Ok, introduction time:

I'm 29 years old, student of history and english, living in Hamburg, Germany.

Started gaming in 88 with RM, dabbled in Earthdawn in 95(?) and am GMing D&D(gasp!) on a weekly basis. (But planning to go Harnic asap)

Funny thing about D&D I experienced: We started with 3E, then did WOT d20 (most interesting campaign in my life, reminds me to start a thread about common problems with GM adventure pacing) tried to change the rules to d6, tried to change the rules to Coda, gave up. I gave D&D another try but now we use Arcana Unearthed (Monte Cooks D&D derivate)

Still, it always felt wrong, so now I am hoping to get some Harn going...

Sufficient introduction?
Urizen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 8:24 pm 
Reeve
Reeve

Sanric wrote:
Hi everybody,

Having read this forum for a couple of months, I've finally come around to register.

Unbelievable, someone from Köln who does play Hârn. I thought I and my group were the only ones here within miles. Welcome to the forum.
R.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 6:01 am 
Woodward
Woodward

Hi Aghori, thanks for the welcome. I didn't know there was a Hârn group in Koeln. 8O Wow.

Aghori wrote:
Unbelievable, someone from Köln who does play Hârn. I thought I and my group were the only ones here within miles.

The funny thing is that my gaming group is in Duesseldorf. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 6:25 am 
Bailiff
Bailiff

Sanric wrote:
[...] I've already decided that my p-Harn will resemble 12th century England more closely than, say, 13th or 14th century.
[...]

Yes! That's the way to go! :D More alike p-harns the merrier. Welcome aboard Sanric. (My Harn is 11th to 12th century in case you haven't noticed it from my posts. On the other hand most of my posts are ancient history bu now. :? )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 7:09 am 
Woodward
Woodward

Tuomo, how is "Victory, Destiny!" doing? It's been a while since I read anything about it on these forums. Although that could just be me not paying attention.

I'm fascinated by the Dark Ages and the early Norman/Angevin period. My first-ever paper at university (long, long ago :() was about the Angevin Empire. It's certainly perfect for getting inspirations for Hârn, and it feels darker and grittier than that late medieval stuff. Plus, from a GM's point of view, there is the added advantage that there are no PCs running around in plate armour. :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 4:36 pm 
Bailiff
Bailiff

DongMaster wrote:
[...]

But serfs are not allowed to wear plate. :lol:

But plate on anyone is a real mood killer, isn't it. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 6:18 pm 
Reeve
Reeve

Sanric wrote:

The funny thing is that my gaming group is in Duesseldorf. :wink:

So that's a completly different thing then. :wink:

Post subject: Re: Newcomers...
PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2004 5:00 pm 
Beadle
Beadle

DongMaster wrote:
... Present yourself and how you found this forum. We all want to know... :D

Allright, my name's Henrik and it seems that I'm a fellow countryman of DongMaster. Countless aeons ago (or 16 years to be exact) I bought this cool looking rulebook when visiting a con. That's what started it all. Over the years me and my friends had some truly wonderful moments.

Sadly, I haven't had the chance or the urge to play much for the last seven years, but I do have the urge now - bad. So I decided to have a look at what happened to the game that I love, and found some weird and disturbing things, but I also found this wonderful forum. I believe I found it through HarnLink

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2004 6:48 pm 
Woodward
Woodward

Crusader wrote:
DongMaster wrote:
... Present yourself and how you found this forum. We all want to know... :D

Allright, my name's Henrik and it seems that I'm a fellow countryman of DongMaster. Countless aeons ago (or 16 years to be exact) I bought this cool looking rulebook when visiting a con. That's what started it all. Over the years me and my friends had some truly wonderful moments.

Sadly, I haven't had the chance or the urge to play much for the last seven years, but I do have the urge now - bad. So I decided to have a look at what happened to the game that I love, and found some weird and disturbing things, but I also found this wonderful forum. I believe I found it through HarnLink

Welcome to the forum fellow harniac and stockholmer :D Your timeline seems to be just like mine. Found a book in the late 80:ies, in my case "Cities of Harn" and got hooked. Just like you I haven't played much last 7-8 years, that is since I moved away too far away from my old RPG buddies.. But times are changing, so if there are a couple of other players in the stockholm area, we might get something going.. 8O

Anyway, welcome back!

/morgan.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2004 5:16 pm 
Beadle
Beadle

Sir Taran wrote:
Anyway, welcome back!

Thanks! :D

Post subject: New here but been around
PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2004 5:31 pm 
Cottar
Cottar

Well, my good friend Hrafnagud has raved about this forum for years and I have looked around and read a little here and there, and I must say he was right outside of the suttle sniping from the old fogies it is a great site.

Post subject: Back from hiatus
PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 10:49 pm 
Half Villein
Half Villein

I was introduced to Harnmaster in 1992, but have never really found a receptive group to use it. My wife is especially daunted by the exhaustive character creation process.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 5:03 am 
Villein
Villein

I came across Harn in 1988 at "Tradition" in Gothenburg, Sweden. At that time, I did not yet have a driver's license so my dad was with me in the store as I was just browsing (I was a "Drakar och Demoner" player buy curious about other games). As was his very annoying habit he would ask a sales clerk for assistance (which I did not need!) and the sales clerk showed me Harn saying it was the most well made world out there. I browsed the material and got hooked, bought HM1 and Orbaal and the rest is history...

Oh, and this forum, well I suppose I came across it when was browsing for Harn stuff, did not join in or even lurk, then Grant told me to look here when I was looking for new players and that's when I joined in.

HERGER: regarding the daunting character creation process here's an alternative I use due to lack of time (and experience) for some or all of the players: 1) I elicit general suggestions from players 2) Once I have them, I decide on the final make up of the character from a descriptive standpoint and I write 0.5-2 pages of background in one or two quick sessions, very free flowing, painting a picture. 3) then I quickly pop in stats that correspond to that "image" of a character and presto! It's about 1 hour's worth of work for me per player and as little as nothing for a player. The key is that the "free-flowing image" acts as the source from which stats and equipment flow.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2004 4:06 am 
Beadle
Beadle

I have been posting off and on for a few weeks now, but have been lurking for quite some time - I guess it is time to Introduce myself. The name Muga comes from one of my first characters in Harn, a Ymodi tribesman. I have been playing in Harn off and on since 1990, introduced to Harn and HM1 by a good friend and fellow grad student. I have been playing D&D and other RPGs since 1979 - scary - I just realized that that is 25 years of gaming...Anyway, I have been using Harnworld as my default choice for gaming for the past few years - I think it is nice to concentrate on the adventure writing rather than the setting - now if I could just get the players to cooperate by going where I thought they would... :) My current game group consists of my wife, and four others, with the exception of my wife, none had ever played HM rules, and quite frankly, I have never let the rules get in the way of a good adventure, so we have been using the d20 Harnguide rules - with modifications.

As far as how I discovered the Harn Forum, I started lurking after I found the link on the Columbia Games website. I would also take this opportunity to thank the Dongmaster for the old Swords & Shields site - most of my campaign has derived from the Kaldor manors located there - now on Lythia.com.

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - B. Franklin
------

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2004 4:56 am 
Beadle
Beadle

[quote]BTW, what do you mean by never letting the rules get in the way? You bashing HM?[quote]

No, at least not intentionally, I have just played with so many different rules systems None of which are perfect that I focus on the story of the adventure and let the rules be a framework. I started with D&D at a time when it really had No rules. -the d20 rules just happen to be the ones that all my players were familiar with - and my Wife thinks that HM sucks, bow to the inevitable and move on...Of course if she reads this I am in trouble :lol:

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - B. Franklin
------

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2004 11:25 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Then don't tell her about it. :twisted:

Hey, wait a second...

Muga, I too don't let the rules get in the way of a good story (feel free to ignore the nerd with the phallic obsession). My players recently demanded that I start up the old Harn campaign again, but some of them were relieved when I said I wasn't going to be using the HârnMaster rules. Two weeks later, we've played four Hârn games!

All my players love HârnWorld, some don't care what rules are used, but others really didn't get HârnMaster at all. More importantly, I just found the rules got in the way. Too much looking up, consulting tables, especially in combat. Now, I use a Fast! Furious! Fun! set of rules, and we are having a ball!

Oh, and welcome to the HârnForum. :D

Leitchy
List & Forum Admin
Admin FAQs
[Updated 25-FEB-2011]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 10:20 am 
Baron
Baron

Hello to you Hârniacs all and gentlebeings most,

My name is Peter Fauconnier, I'm French, live in Paris with my wife, two kids and a cat, and I have a job in some GSM madhouse where I work as a GIS-operator.

I came to Hârn after seeing the famous full page/full color adds for Cities of Hârn in The Dragon Magazine in 198?, buying it and then wanting to know more about this fascinating place bought Hârnworld then went the whole Encyclopedia Hârnica route ; this all began to affect my AD&D style (at the time rather Lankhmarish), to the point of no return after the publication of HM1 : The world was perfect, the rules made sense, and I gamed happily everafter...

As to this forum, I've been consulting it more or less since its creation as a non-member (you could call it lurking, but I would never do something so monsterish-sounding, even GMs have their dignity), but until recently thought myself too busy/lazy to participate in even a remotely active way. After all, one of my (very dear) players was already a member and you gotta find uses for those pesky creatures when not gaming, why not informant ? :? So I contended myself with his reports until he begun to talk too much and in the wrong places :x putting my relative tranquility in peril, yet such is the power of the Lord of Balgashang and his mightiest worshippers that even the impossible might happen, after sufficient ego-flattering, of course, like :
DongMaster wrote:
Son of a... That Peter is an excellent mapper. :)

. 8) And you can be sure that this one is framed on the wall of my virtual hall of fondest internet memories :lol:

Mac Gorgor

Last edited by macgorgor on Tue Jun 01, 2004 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 12:13 pm 
Knight
Knight

Welcome aboard Peter!

Love the Dak plans :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 10:34 pm 
Baron
Baron

Ken_Snellings wrote:
Welcome aboard Peter!

Love the Dak plans :)

Yes, thank you Ken, but I seem to remember you had a preview of it some time ago (I guess this was before I changed computers and managed to lose a lot of old mail, adresses, etc. :oops: )

I think I have a few other hârnic ships deck plans done in CC2 in the (beautiful) Mappa Hârnica style, also available as symbols to insert in interior maps. Maybe I could make these, and some other maps, available over the internet, as there seems to be some interest in my work (and much complimenting, thank you, thank you)

Peter Fauconnier

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 260 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 11  Next