Boards to discuss Hârn, HârnWorld, HârnMaster, and RPGs in general.
Links - Home - Kelestia Productions - Columbia Games Inc
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:31 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:24 am 
Cottar
Cottar

I am wondering if there is a contradiction between Canon and Fanon in the adventure "Flames of Discontent". In the Morvin module on page 3 it states, "Amorvin and Gulmorvin cannot enter an area consecrated to any god but Morgath". In the adventure module the two amorvin are on the abbey grounds. If one wanted to stay consistent with Canon, then the obvious conclusion would be that not all of the ground in the abbey have been consecrated. So, the question which areas would be consecrated? I think the obvious answer would be the at least the Temple Hall, but what about other areas, such as the crypt?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:50 am 
Knight
Knight

I would consider graveyards, crypts, etc. to be consecrated ground.

On the surface, the fanon adventure does seem to conflict with the canon description. However, it's not hard to fix. If the Amorvrin is powerful, it might have some means to resist such warding; maybe some artifact or ritual. If the PCs can figure that out, they might be able to defeat the undead by removing/destroying the protection.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:24 pm 
Baron
Baron

There are various ways to despoil an area that likely would ruin any consecration or the consecration may have been done improperly.

For examlpe if they were to take up residence in the crypt a new consecration of the area would likely fail unless the crypt were first/exorcised. And not every ritual is successful.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:26 pm 
Bailiff
Bailiff

Just my two farthings but I wouldn't consider being on land near a temple as holy ground. I'd assume inside 'structures' to have been made and kept hallowed but not just the grass around the structures or the common paths leading up to it. Maybe the crypts are not even kept hallowed all the time. They would be made hallowed during a burial ceremony but unless maintained such would fade. Common graves in the graveyard .. again another situation for temporary hallowed ground but by the time the soul has left the body on its journey I imagine the ground would revert to unhallowed.

But in my mind hallowed or consecrated ground is not a one time thing. It is the ongoing process. Clergy have a ritual for this and I imagine it would be part of their routine to go around keeping their temple areas cleansed. But would they bother with old graves, crypts, paths, sitting benches on the grounds of an area? Debatable.

Visit Harshlands, 'the' online Harn MUD World
http://www.harshlands.net

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:47 am 
Grand Master Silly Bugger
Grand Master Silly Bugger

Just my two peeneth...says nothing about being carried. Or being created there in the fisrt place. I.E burried dormant movrin have a temple built over ...jipes half the Morgathian catacombs on harn are in Laranian complexes :)