Jewelry & Clothes

General Discussion area about anything Hârn-related.

Moderator: Spartan

Dan L P
Beadle
Beadle

Jewelry & Clothes

#1 Post by Dan L P » Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:30 am

Jewelry & Clothes
How is jewelry and clothes valued in a game?
I know most of my PC have only armour and maybe one set of working clothes and any jewelry they have is in a purse.
Jewelry and clothes throughout history has been a sign of status in all cultures.
But in RPG players and GM seem to forget that.
PC (unless very poor) should have at least two sets of clothes, linen for summer and wool for winter. Rich PC might wear silk clothes during summer and a set of ermine clothes during winter.
Jewelry is another indication of wealth and status, the value of the material it's made of and how much is worn.
When a PC meets a town official or town guard who do you think's going to get more respect someone dressed in linen with no jewelry or someone dressed in silk with lots of jewelry.
See the PDF attachment

EDIT
Jewelry / Clothing

Jewelry
I decided to expand the random jewelry table, gone are the very rare items (they can be added at the GM discretion) and they have been replaced with more common items used to show the wealth of the owner, such as beads, fasteners, neck rings, hat badges, etc… made out of common to rare material. Jewelry and expensive clothing is used to impress others, and show status.
PC with lots of expensive jewelry / clothing are more likely to impress towns people and Nobles.
At GM discretion increase PC ORATORY and RHETORIC by how much and the value of the PC jewelry / clothing.
Example: For every piece of jewelry and expensive clothing +1 to EML (1 to 5 beads = one piece of jewelry).
+1 to EML For every 50d value of jewelry and clothes worn.
So a PC with eight pieces of jewelry valued at 345 and five clothes at 175 (520d) has an EML adjustment of +23
(Pieces of Jewelry +8, clothes +5, Value of jewelry and clothes 520 /50 = +10 (round down), Total +23 to EML.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Dan L P on Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:35 am, edited 3 times in total.

Rothesay
Sheriff
Sheriff

Re: Jewelry & Clothes

#2 Post by Rothesay » Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:41 am

Most of my PCs have several outfits, more depending on their rank. With a baron, two knights, a squire, a priestess, and a guildswoman, they each have at least two. Two even have two sets of armor.

I make them buy a new set of clothing each year, of appropriate quality (read=price) to their station. The guildswoman is an actress so she has the most clothing of all. Rings are common amongst them, and the women have jewelry that is described and has value. These are worn on suitable occasions. Some they have bought and some have been gifts. Some have been 'acquired' in the course of various activities. They have also given such - rings primarily - as gifts.

MDMann
Knight
Knight

#3 Post by MDMann » Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:43 pm

My Navehan priest has three sets of clothes. His cover is as a journeyman ostler.
Per Sir Veer.

Dan L P
Beadle
Beadle

#4 Post by Dan L P » Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:26 am

MDMann wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:43 pm
t
My Navehan priest has three sets of clothes. His cover is as a journeyman ostler.
Would you say the clothes your PC buy are low, medium, or high value clothes and does PC wear any jewelry?
I ask because clothes and jewelry displays status. How does PC present himself.

Peter the skald
Grand Master Silly Bugger
Grand Master Silly Bugger

#5 Post by Peter the skald » Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:37 am

Most of my players due to circumstance and to a lesser extent choice wear clothes that intone 'adventurer' in a raised voice....practical, worn, mid range and showing signs of damage and repair....but with some jewellery indicating portable wealth and perhaps some status. It raises a mixed response from the world as you can imagine.
Plots and schemes are the same thing..

MDMann
Knight
Knight

#6 Post by MDMann » Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:14 am

His working clothes are midrange durable, practical ostler at work attire. No jewelry.
His ceremonial robes are very high quality, black samite. No jewelry (as such).
His best outfit is mid to high range, successful guildsman. Modest jewelry, some bling a little flashy, but not in a dog me way.
His obvious weapons are good solid quality. His hidden weapons and mail byrnie are high quality tailored goods that he wears under his clothes more or less constantly. Hard to spot, but professionals will. But, he is in Golotha and appears a devout Agrikan. His hidden weapons are top notch. Knives mostly.
Per Sir Veer.

Husgaran
Cottar
Cottar

#7 Post by Husgaran » Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:00 am

I play an Ivinian so like the Danes he wears silver arm rings to denote his wealth. 15d a piece.

Dan L P
Beadle
Beadle

#8 Post by Dan L P » Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:16 am

Husgaran wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:00 am
I play an Ivinian so like the Danes he wears silver arm rings to denote his wealth. 15d a piece.
That must be some thin arm rings silver goes for 60d an ounce (HM3 Treasure 5).

Krazma
Constable
Constable

#9 Post by Krazma » Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:29 am

Does it really matter how much silver is in the arm bands? He answered your question.

Husgaran
Cottar
Cottar

#10 Post by Husgaran » Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:19 pm

Dan L P wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:16 am
Husgaran wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:00 am
That must be some thin arm rings silver goes for 60d an ounce (HM3 Treasure 5).
My inspiration on how they're used comes from Bernard Cornwell's Saxon Tales series. Not really sure on whether the Danes wore pure silver arm rings in RL or the book. In the book they wore them in battle to show off their prowess (taking them from men they killed) so maybe they should be more durable by mixing them with other metals? Idk.

Arm rings are also a form of currency in the book. Danes would trade them for goods. Sometimes chopping them up with an axe and weighing the pieces until the amount is correct. I do the same in game. To make it easier for me to trade them I like them to be worth a bit less. So I explain that by saying they're mixed with nickel and tin like coins are.

I go by the Venarive module price list which puts silver bullion at 256d per pound. Therefore 16d per ounce. I think a typical arm rings weighs 2.5 ounces so 40d a ring plus extra for their craftsmanship if you play them as pure silver.
Last edited by Husgaran on Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:23 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Rothesay
Sheriff
Sheriff

#11 Post by Rothesay » Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:20 pm

One of the other things I use is silver plate. In this I mean utensils - plates, salvers, goblets, etc. These do not appear in public, but rather in the home. Depends, of course, on the type of campaign one is running, but the ability to set a table with such is huge. 8)